Monday, September 25, 2006

Focused Revival

Pardon me as I snicker at the title of this particular blog. Unless one is blind or illiterate (In which case you would not be reading this either) it is obviously titled "Focused Revival." It is symbolic of my literary revival. I did something. Actually, I accomplished something that I am quite proud of. However, before I can reveal what that something is I am compelled to preface it by explaining why I took my three month hiatus from my blog.

My focus was missing. In fact my focus had slipped so subtly and gradually that I had not even noticed it until I was approached by a friend. This friend who hosts one of my favorite poetry venues asked me why I had not written anything yet I called myself a writer. My response was simply: "I have been too busy." She then had a rebuttal that forced me to think. She said, "You have been too busy to do what you claim to love the most." I had no response. At that point I decided that a shift in focus was necessary if I was to be what I so vigorously claim to be, a writer. Fast-forward to the purpose of that snippet of information.

I shut it down. I shut everything that I deemed to be a distraction. These things included unhealthy relationships, poor time management, message boards and my blog. Yes even my blog. I always saw this blog as an outlet to express myself. However, I learned that it was taking a small portion of my focus from my other literature. I learned how to focus better and I finished a poetry anthology that I co-authored with the aforementioned friend. It is complete. I can not believe that your man will actually finally see his name on the front of a book. I know it is not my novel which will be in a forthcoming blog but, it was still an arduous process that I was instrumental in. I revived my focus.