Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Legend of the Fall




John Edward Hawkins — the Hueston rapper known as Big Hawk, a central figure in the city's hip-hop scene — was shot and killed near a friend's home in south Hueston late Monday night. He was 36.

I had to stop my monthly tribute to hip-hop to raise another flag. I am getting so tired of this. Another death that hits home for me. I knew HAWK personally and although we were not close I am close child-hood friends with his nephew and aspiring Hueston rapper Chris Ward.

I have fond middle school memories of listening to recorded freestyle ciphers by local underground Screwed Up Click member's Keke, Pokey, Big Moe, Mike D, Fat Pat, Big Mello, Big Mike and Big Hawk. They help create an underground phenomenon in hip-hop that saw the likes of DJ Quick, Kardinal Offishall, Ras Kass, Phonte, Scarface, UGK and even Jigga enter these ciphers. All while remaining underground. In many ways they help inspire my writing and my spoken word as apart of the Hueston Collective.

I remember HAWK being on some conscious uplifting lyrics. Even as a teen I respected that. I remember fighting to get on the microphone at the southside's Stadium Bowl where I ripped the mic in front of a crowd for the first time. Hawk was there and he was the DJ. I was a skinny 14 year old that was raw and street oriented. I remeber he told all the young cats that everything did not have to be about the hood. Now when I look back at that, I get it. He was a child of Third Ward and the legendary Jack Yates high school like myself. We were brothers under the hip-hop family tree.

I am praying for his family. They endured this loss eight years ago when his brother, another Hueston legend, Fat Pat was murdered as well. How much death can a community, humanity, a man take. The black suit just got cleaned a little over a month ago. Allow me to stop my selfishness. I am alive. I am grateful for that and I am grateful for those who are as well. Still outwardly immobile.

Hawk buried with a mic.

I got dollars on mind to battle inflation
A former thug got on grind and got a college education
Pro-creation of nation son and daughter
Makin my children smarter
Not necessarily harder
Cuz the heart lies in improving the black nation
I gotta benz but it depends if the streets say its cool
I parked on curb put down herb and gave the value back to my school
Visualizing mic checking
Realizing half-stepping
Is like a sentence with with no verb no actions for the fools
So stop fooling yourself with false wealth
And starting schooling yourself with Gods with help
Cuz the imperial is soon separated from the material like a fool
Grippin grain leaving stain on boys brains
When my nouns enter the paragraph and swang through....H.A.W.K

5 Comments:

At 5/03/2006 9:57 PM, Blogger melette said...

I'm so sick of this. We really need to address this. My condolences to this young man's family.

 
At 5/04/2006 8:22 AM, Blogger glory said...

i wish his family - consanguineal and cypher and fans - healing.

 
At 5/04/2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Sonnyredd said...

Respect.

 
At 5/04/2006 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't his brother die on the same date?

 
At 5/05/2006 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

his family is in my prayers. no one deserves to go thru this. we need to stop all this killing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home